Re: [NTLK] [ANN] OPML support for IC/VC

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Wed Aug 23 2006 - 03:38:34 EDT

On 8/22/06, Roman Pixell [GMail] <roman.pixell@gmail.com> wrote:
> hooray! good work eckhart
>
> i dont know how much 512bytes is in OPML, but it should suffice for a
> couple of pages, right?

Is 512 bytes 512 characters? In any case, it should be fine for most
people, as Ekhart said that this was the limit in one outline item. I
was just playing with OPML in Omni a few minutes ago (not realizing
that this discussion was on NTLK!) and discovered that OPML puts
outline items within tags, so an outline item text would look like
this:

<outline text="Main Point>
<outline text="First sub point."/>
<outline text="Second sub point."/>
</outline>

That would look like this in plain text:
Main Point
     First sub point.
     Second sub point.

Rinse, repeat as desired. As you can see, each point is inside the
tag, so I guess this is where the limitation comes in. Each of those
"<outline text="text"/> items can only contain 512 bytes.

Since most of us writing outlines aren't putting that much text into
outlines, it is probably safe for 99% of what we use outlines for. I
have taken notes at meetings that were rather extensive, but I suppose
that pulling that out into a non-outline note would fix that problem.

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland