Re: [NTLK] "Le superflu, cette chose si nécessaire"

From: Karel Jansens <kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be>
Date: Fri Aug 25 2006 - 08:06:31 EDT

Andreas schreef:
> Hi,
>
> The Simpad is running CE 4.0; my Palm is a Vx. But, indeed, newer
> devices handle the volatile memory issue better. I was just happy (or in
> a state of complacency !) my Newton kept everything :-)

The operating system of the device doesn't really matter to the
volatility of the memory: my SimPad runs Wince 4.1 and if my battery
goes dry, the memory goes poof as well. It's the kind of memory chips
used that matter.

It's interesting to know that Nokia essentially copied the Newton's way
in memory management for its 770: everything is stored in flash RAM, but
programs are copied into a bank of DRAM for speedy execution.

That said, after six months of using the 770, it has become painfully
clear that much knowledge has been lost in the mists of time: the 770
has a beautiful screen, lots of storage, a modern operating system and
whole industries of wireless connectivity built in, yet its user
interface is many a step down from the simple Newton of yore.

I am truly pining for Einstein to mature; entire nights of mine are
filled with dreams of the things I might do with a Nokia 770 that runs a
true handheld operating system.

If Paul is reading this: I have money set aside that was previously
meant for my retirement, just to give to him for a copy of Einstein 1.1
(I never ever buy 1.0 software). If I had virgin daughters (I don't have
/any/ daughters, in case dirty minds are also reading this), I would
give them to him in marriage or concubinary.

Just in case I wasn't clear: I'd really, really like to have Einstein...

Karel Jansens