Re: [NTLK] OT: Which to Keep? G4 PB or Pismo?

From: Cerebus <cerebus2_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat Aug 26 2006 - 01:42:50 EDT

On 8/25/06, Dave <dave@newrivergroup.com> wrote:

> So my question is... Which of my two PB's do I keep? Im planning to
> convert my Mom to Mac so one of them will go to her. The Pismo is
> great as I can still run my OS9 apps natively (NCU anyone?) and the
> small size is great for travel vs a 15" MB Pro, however the G4 has
> the 17" screen which is really nice and would negate the need for
> buying the Pro, for a few years at least. Anyone have any wisdom
> they can share?

You can run OS 9.0.4 in Sheepshaver on the MacBooks (there's an Intel
version and it worked for me), and Basilisk II runs pretty well under
Rosetta. Since NCU runs in Basilisk II there should be no problems
with Sheepshaver, assuming the network is working in the last
snapshot--it's been a while since I've played with it. OS9.0 install
disks aren't impossible to come by either.

As much as I like my 17" PB, I'd never buy a laptop this large again.
It's great on the desk but I travel a lot and then it's a real PITA.
If you're planning on hauling it out and about a lot, you might want
to think twice. I'd go back to a 12" if they still offered one. I'm
not keen on the MB integrated Intel video card that shares system
memory, though; hopefully that will get dropped in the next revision.

Lately my travel kit has been reduced to the Newton for work &
writing, my Nokia 770 "Internet tablet" for
web/email/IM/VoIP/video/eBooks, iPod for music/video, and a DS Lite
for gaming. It's more "things," but it packs up smaller and I get
more battery life overall. :) (Chargers and a small WAP go in the
checked luggage.)

-- Tim