Re: [NTLK] Experience with NewtSync and a suggestion

From: Martin Joseph <NT_at_stillnewt.org>
Date: Wed Aug 30 2006 - 13:18:36 EDT

On Aug 30, 2006, at 9:48 AM, Norman Palardy wrote:

> On Aug 29, 2006, at 4:44 PM, Javier Monllor wrote:
>> <snip> Suppose there are 500 people in the
>> community that give $10 (maybe $20) dollars to a professional
>> developer. Wouldn't this be enough to entice him to write a fully
>> working and useful syncing software for OS X? We already have two
>> open source initiatives, maybe he could start working from those.
>> Hey, maybe some member of the list would be willing to do it !
>>
>> This may be a naive suggestion, but I know I would gladly pay to have
>> my MP flawlessly sync to my iMac.
>
> I'd be in for $50 at least
> My Newt is kind of languishing since I got an Intel Mac since I
> cannot run classic and use NCU any more
> A native OS X app would be awesome

The classic "bounty" scenario as used in open source projects could
be attempted. We should set up a web page where people can donate to
the bounty, and then when/if someone is able to pull off an isync
plugin that meets certain standards (to be deterimined), which by
some accounts shouldn't be all that hard, we pay them the bounty.

This requires somewhere for the web page to reside which is no big
deal, as we have many listee's that can do that, but also some
vehicle for the funds to reside (hopefully earn interest also).

I would suggest that after a period of time (say 5 years) if the
funds aren't collected, the money could either be refunded, or
( better from my point of view ) contributed to some worthwhile
charity. This could be another whole can of worms, though, come to
think of it.

Also, while we are discussing this, while an iSync plugin would make
those of us using OSX happy, it wouldn't do squat for those poor
souls using windows. Perhaps we could make the bounty target some
kind of cross platform standard that would work both ways? Is there
one that would work? Like SyncML perhaps?

Don't know, but certainly there are many users that would love to
sync there address books at least, and calendars as well.

Marty

PS I would chip in a bit also.