Re: [NTLK] Experience with NewtSync and a suggestion

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Thu Aug 31 2006 - 05:02:58 EDT

On 8/31/06, Javier Monllor <jmonll2@uic.edu> wrote:

> I don't see why there would be a problem besides having two alarms.
> An app could be made that automatically syncs when the newton is
> connected to the computer (or is detected through bluetooth) and even
> check for changes every X amount of time.

That would be an ideal, but then again, also a lot of work. Remember, easy
is hard work. By that, I mean, to make it easy on the user, it's lots of
hard work for the developer. But that would go a long way to help with the
problems I have experienced, and invision using two different computers to
create events...

I also don't see any problem with syncing. The software just has to
> move the most recently changed files to the device with the oldest
> files.

There has to be comparisons made at every level, and ideally, a history, so,
in case changes were made on both the Newton and the desktop, you would be
prompted to recoincile those differences, especially if they are conflicting
(a change of date or time in both would be a conflict, adding a name or
venue to a meeting would not be a conflict, but new data that needs to be
reconciled.)

So, while simple on the surface, it gets more complex. I know that Now never
well and truly solved this when they wrote the Now Sync app, nor when they
helped with the NCU version syncing for Apple. I don't know how Palm does
it.

Personally, I do not see the soup structure being a hindrance, especially
now that, on the desktop, you have much more flexible data structures for
things like contacts and calendar items. The vcard and vcal are both
extensible like the Newt in that you are not limited to one or two addresses
or a couple phone numbers and email addresses, but can handle countless
numbers of all of these--just like the Newton. So the soup structure should
and could be a plus--were it levereged correctly. In fact, I suspect that
the Newton soup structure has a lot to do with how the Apple Address Book
works! (my suspicion only)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland