Re: [NTLK] Windows Sync Software

From: Alex Santos <izabella.misiewiczsantos_at_neostrada.pl>
Date: Thu Aug 31 2006 - 08:27:11 EDT

On Aug 31, 2006, at 1:37 AM, Tony Kan wrote:

> IMO whether you like it or not Outlook is the industry default and
> most other
> PIM apps will allow imports and exports to that app. So I reckon
> Outlook is the
> way. Any semi proprietary file format even in CSV would be painful
> as another
> layer of translation is still required.

That may be true but it too may be proprietary in its' own right.
Let's look at the iCal .ics file format shall we.

What is an iCalendar file?

An iCalendar file is a standard file format defined by the IETF,
http://www.ietf.org/ that makes it possible to share and transfer
calendar entries between different Personal Information Managers
(PIMs). The file format is supported by popular software packages
such as Microsoft Outlook and Apple's iCal.

By downloading the iCal file it is possible for you to transfer the
event information directly into your calender.

Below were some details from the site I visited, http://
events.bcs.rochester.edu/icalexp.aspx :

PC
Choose Open when prompted and the file should open in your calendar
program.

MAC
Choose Save As and then accept the default filename. In Internet
Explorer the dialog will show the filename ical.aspx however the file
will save with the correct filename of bcsevent.ics. Once the file is
saved double click on it to import it into your calendar application,
alternatively you can drag it into your calendar window.
N.B. If you have never run any calendar software that associates
itself with .ics files then the file may simply open in a text window.