Re: [NTLK] moving palm info to newton

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Fri Dec 01 2006 - 14:21:46 EST

On 12/1/06, Stewart Douglas <douglab@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I am using NCK 2.0 in OS9 connected to my OMP OS 1.05
>
> I can easily copy and paste notes (text) into the newton but I can't
> figure out a way to export
> address data from palm desktop to transfer into Newton names.
>
> Note: my address list is also in OSX addressbook...maybe I could
> export from there?
> Any ideas?

It shouldn't matter where you export from. It should be a really easy
task, though. NCK is really great for importing text files. In fact, I
always found NCK better to work with than NCU.

All you need is to export your address book files to tab-delimited
text files. I suppose you could export to comma-delimited, but I don't
remember if NCK can read those. If not, open your export file into a
spreadsheet, and save it as tab-delimited, or open it in a word
processor, and change all the commas to tabs via search and replace.

NCK should allow you to arrange the fields for import in whatever
order you need. On export from your addressbook, choose to put field
names into the first record (I believe that Palm Desktop does
this--and is probably the best way to go about it). In NCK, you simply
match the fields, and import, then sync your Newton.

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland