Re: [NTLK] [OT] Need System Software for Mac SE FDHD

From: Martin Joseph <NT_at_stillnewt.org>
Date: Sat Dec 09 2006 - 13:27:32 EST

On Dec 9, 2006, at 7:20 AM, Ron Dube wrote:

> I recently found a Macintosh SE FDHD along side of the road. It seems
> in pretty good shape! It turns on but I get the dreaded "?" looking
> for its hard drive. I believe that you have to put a System disk in
> to help find itself... If I have this info wrong, how do I fix it?
> Also I need to know which version of the System Software that I need,
> and where can I purchase it from?
> If anyone that can help me, I would appreciate it!
> Thanks!

If you have other macs, of an older vintage, you can use a SCSI
based external hard drive to boot this. If not, you can download a
system disk set from Apple... I don't remember exactly which system
was originally distributed with it, but I am sure system 7 will work...

If you are downloading disk images from apple's web site, you will
need to image these files onto floppies or build a system on an HD.

If you are in the Seattle area, I can help you and I have much too
much old mac stuff...

Good luck,
Marty