Re: [NTLK] MP2100 screen burn-in

From: matthiasm <mm_at_matthiasm.com>
Date: Tue Dec 12 2006 - 16:46:27 EST

On Dec 12, 2006, at 7:37 PM, knowtree@aloha.com wrote:

> I like using my MP2100 to dial my phone and log calls. I have it
> sitting
> next to my Unix workstation, with a keyboard and A/C adaptor. When
> I use
> the A/C adaptor the MP does not power down automatically. Is there
> any risk
> of damaging the screen? IIRC, LCD panels do not suffer from burn-in
> the way
> CRT-based video monitors are. Can I leave my MP turned pn all day?

LCD's have generally no burn-in effect, so, yes, regarding the screen
you can leave your Newton on all day and night (to the best of my
knowledge). The only display part that may suffer is your backlight
that has a certain half-brightness-value, a certain on-time after
which its brightness will be half of the original one. This time is
pretty long though, plus there are replacements available. This time
is probably measured in years. The rest of the electronics also has a
certain life span which is shorter when the equipment is on at all
times. Again, we measure in years.

----
http://robowerk.com/