Re: [NTLK] New user question about CF cards

From: Sam Speake <sam.speake_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Thu Dec 14 2006 - 09:29:39 EST

Hi Adriano,

My comments are more to do with the cost not the software its self. The
software is very good and Paul has offered so much to the newton
community.

I work in a sales based role for an apple reseller so I'm seeing it
from a sales point
of view. When mentioning Disk warrior (I prefer Tech Tools... Disk
warrior only does one thing)
the vendors still supported the software during the 2 years and have
updated it to
meet demands. The cost for that software will include the marketing
and shipping
of the product, support, research and development of newer versions
and NFR
copies given to suppliers.

If Paul intended to give the software a commercial price tag ( like
disk warrior) then surely people can expect
to receive updates and support on the product? However if the
software was developed
as a hobby and is no longer updated or supported then surely the
price should reflect that?

I would certainly buy the software if the price reflected the current
value. And I would
also pay the current price if the software was updated and supported
like other commercial software.

> I would prefer to spend more threads to discuss about the amazing
> things that Paul is offering to the community,
> instead of discussing about how to depreciate the bigger update that
> our favourite platform received since '98.
>

> Adriano
>
> http://notwen.com
>

> Sam wrote:
>
>> On your 3rd point, do you ever look on ebay? at any one time there
>> are half a dozen cards. I paid 19 euro for a 20MB card just the
>> other week.
>>
>> <snipped>
>>
>> Mac OS 9 was a good operating system and no doubt took the
>> programmers in california many hours work, however this does not
>> mean its still worth the same
>> today as it was on its release day.
>
> Ronnie wrote:
>
>>> Paul's pricing is fair given:
>>> 1) the need only to pay for this software for cards bigger than 4mb
>>> 2) the quality of the implementation and the design
>>> 3) the robustness of the implementation
>>> 3) the scarcity and pricing of the linear cards
>>> 4) the difference in exchange rates between the euro, uk pound and
>>> the