Re: [NTLK] Lucent Wavelan Turbo Silver - success!

From: Paul Curtis (MicroSSG_at_Comcast.net)
Date: Wed Feb 01 2006 - 12:05:19 PST

I hate to open this can of worms, but I'm going to...

There is no reason to use WEP. Like any protection scheme, it's easily
breakable and it consumes bandwidth...

A couple suggestions, and by no means is this "secure" or the best for
anyone, but it is effective and has low overhead.

1. Don't broadcast your SSID
2. lock down your network by mac addresses
3. limit the number of connections by the number of computers you have

Like I said this isn't perfect, but it will deter a vast majority of
snoopers and won't hit your bandwidth like an encryption scheme does. If
somebody is hell bent on breaking in, with enough time and tools they'll get
in...

I'd invite those more knowledgeable with networks to chime in with comments
or additions as I would love to learn more.

Best Regards,

Paul Curtis
Certified Mortgage Planner
Allied Home Mortgage