Re: [NTLK] Overhaul

From: John (OceanCity_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Feb 06 2006 - 09:58:39 PST

>Put it back together with no extra parts left over!
>Good Luck ;~)
>Marty

Thanks to the incredible documentation here at:
http://www.pda-soft.de/2x00_disassemble.html

.....somehow I was able to complete the job, power up my 2100, and no
glitches. The whole job took a few hours to complete as this was the
first time I'd dismantled the Newt beyond simply removing the back cover
and installing a serial board a few months ago. I'm fairly handy at this
type of "extremely delicate" surgery, the kind that you should not
attempt if you have a temper or I assure you that you'll loose it and
never get it back. This is not the kind of thing you want to rush. If
you are not used to working on fragile electronics don't even think
about doing this project yourself as there are many steps along the way
which could be fatal to your beloved Newt. General anesthesia is
required, all life-support must be removed, i.e. batteries, cards, pen,
etc. In particular the above referenced step-by-step procedure warns
that you must use the lowest possible heat setting on your soldering
iron and not touch the film contacts for more than "half of one second"!

The surgery must be done meticulously under practically "clean-room"
conditions, i.e. keep the cats off your workbench. Be sure to route the
PCB connector plugs and wires exactly they way they were factory
installed or the case wont' close properly and could cause crimping problems.

At the same time I had the case apart I took a moment to file down the
(commonly known) offending excess tabs on the case that interfere with
the serial boards, and on the serial plug itself, which prevent the case
from clamping closed stress-free. If you installed a serial board and
you noticed that the back case didn't snap closed all the way then you
may want to look at the following photos (courtesy of Frank Gruendel at
fg2_at_pda-soft.de by permission) which indicates the exact places which
need to be filed down:
http://www.pda-soft.de/2x00_disassemble.html

Finally, after all the work was done I slowly brought the patient out of
the anesthesia, held my breath flicking on my reassembled Newton's
power, low and behold, I now have a bright white display that's much
easier on my tired old aging eyes! Here are a few project photos that
should my new display with white backlighting:
http://www.1234zzzz.com/pub/WhiteBackLight.jpg

John