Re: [NTLK] Relative 'speeds' of various Newtons

From: Paul Curtis (MicroSSG_at_Comcast.net)
Date: Mon Feb 06 2006 - 13:48:45 PST

John,

The e-mate isn't going to match the speed of your 2000, it's closer to the
MP120-130. The e-mate is going to be a smidgen' fast than the 120-130's but
not as fast as the mp2x00. The one advantage for the e-mate is that I think
the rom accommodates the stacks necessary for networking, unlike the MP1x0
series. Woody Smith is an excellent resource for e-mate/MP questions as he
actively uses both types of machines... He also is pretty active on the
list, not to mention his families prowess for dishin' up some good eats -
Humus!

For browsing purposes, I don't think ram is going to help much unless your
absolutely maxed out while online. Most of the speed issues are going to be
net and Newton related. The bandwidth you are allocated, how many
connections are using your isp concurrently, the site design and the traffic
at that site are the major issues. Another issue is that if you are using
the WEP key, that chews up a darn good chunk of bandwidth too.

The Message Pad 2x00 won't be "snappy" per say as compared to other "modern"
computers, but much faster than a cell phone connecting to the net for sure.
I have a Motorola MPx220 and it's slower than a pair of snails mating, my
MP2100 on the other hand moves along pretty well in text sites. Oh, which
reminds me, you also have to take into consideration what MP browser you're
using. The text based ones are faster than the graphics version...

My usual disclaimer, there are many others more knowledgeable than I...

Best Regards,

Paul Curtis
Certified Mortgage Planner
Allied Home Mortgage