Re: [NTLK] [ANN] DCL no longer supported

From: Martin Joseph (NT_at_stillnewt.org)
Date: Fri Jan 20 2006 - 09:55:46 PST

On Jan 20, 2006, at 12:44 AM, Paul Guyot wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Please note that the Desktop Connection Library and related projects
> are no longer supported.
>
> None of us have the time and the motivation to provide any support.
> In spite of the huge work and the availability of its source code,
> the DCL has never been used by anyone else and we mostly got
> complaints. It nearly works, it just lacks love.
The source will remain available though? I hope?

> Furthermore, having just read about the rebirth of a connection
> library project not based on the DCL, I am just disgusted by the way
> the Newton Community and the developers make use of source code
> availability.
I have seen this type of sentiment on other open source projects, where
someone spends a lot of effort (or just talks about) duplicating some
code. Unfortunately, not much we can do about it.

I have no idea what you are referring to, but hope that DCL remains
available, and that someone is able to use this amazing resource to
further our connectivity options.

Too bad there aren't more coders here!
Marty