Re: [NTLK] EINSTEIN THOUGHTS -REVISITED

From: Apostolos Koutropoulos (der_admiral_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Jan 22 2006 - 07:29:49 PST

On 1/22/06 12:39 AM, "William Pociengel" <hseldon_at_my.wgu.edu> wrote:

> You are correct sir. Unless you can get Apple to release the ROM then
> you will need to own a Newton, for legal reasons. It doesn't need to
> work (though how you'll get the image off without it working is anyones
> guess) but you do need to own it.

Then we are getting into a debate like the one that raged (or still rages?)
about NES, SNES, and ROMs from other consoles. If you have the cartridge,
does it give you the right to download the ROM from the internet, or can you
*only* use your device/cartridge and a reader to copy it from the cartridge
to your computer?

I do not know - but my personal stance has been that if I own the cartridge
I have the right to download it from the net.

Another option, which I am sure Apple would never go for, is the "Amiga
Forever" approach, where the emulator distributor has licensed ROMs from
Amiga Inc and sells them along with a preconfigured version of UAE.

Technology geek