Re: [NTLK] Upgrading a mp2000

From: Frank Gruendel (newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Tue Jan 31 2006 - 16:17:00 PST

> Does anybody have some information about upgrading a
> messagepad2000.
> I have the chips but want to know what the procedure is.

You unsolder the two RAMs that you find under the ROM
board and solder the new RAMs onto the board instead.

That's theory, though. You'd need very expensive soldering
equipment as well as the skill to use it in order to make
this a reliable upgrade. The pins of these ICs are so close
together that they are almost impossible to solder even with
the finest tip without creating shorts you'd never get rid
of. Apart from that, it is almost impossible to remove the
old RAMs without damage to the board unless you can heat up
all pins at the same time.

Usually this is done by heating up the whole board up to
nearly the melting point temperature of soldering tin, and
then using a hot air pencil to unsolder the RAMs and solder
the new ones back on using soldering paste. Unless you have
this equipment, don't
even begin. Others have reported they managed to do this
with their soldering iron, but I wouldn't entrust any important
data to such a Newton from then on.

You'd probably be better off getting a 2100 mainboard from
a parts Newton.

Frank