Re: [NTLK] Problems with dialup connection

From: Tony Morrow <gizmo1482_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jul 12 2006 - 19:39:07 EDT

On Jul 12, 2006, at 6:28 PM, Jim Felder wrote:

> Thanks, Woody.
>
> I actually read the script out to the tech, he said it sounded OK to
> him. I don't think they have a problem with nonsecure dialup, but I
> can ask.
>
> I have a feeling it's a DNS or name server issue, don't know much
> about that stuff but all the other stuff is verified with the ISP.
>
> Right about the ethernet, I'm looking for a LAN card and a wireless
> card.
>
> But I feel that for traveling around (I write books about camping and
> outdoor stuff) I'd like to have a little dialup backup to go with my
> Newton.
>
> Just out of curiosity, what's your login script?
>
> Best,
>
> Jim

I just pulled out my old modem and did a quick test to see what the
minimum required information to connect to my ISP was. Here is what I
came up with:

Protocol: PPP
Configuration: server
Access Number: <ISP number>
UserID: <username>
When closing, disconnect after 2 minutes <set it to 2 for testing>
PrimaryDNS: <set to ISP DNS server>
Domain Name: <blank>
Login Script: <blank>

Try logging in with the minimum information required and see what
happens. you may find that, like my ISP, you don't need to input the
domain name or a login script. That may solve the domain name error.

Tony