Re: [NTLK] Weird Classic issue

From: Morgan Aldridge <makkintosshu_at_mac.com>
Date: Wed Jul 19 2006 - 17:50:04 EDT

As someone else mentioned, it's because the copy that made it from
the iBook to the FireWire hard drive retained its "blessed" state,
but (for some reason... probably poor Finder extended attributes
support in your version of Mac OS X) it lost it when copied from the
FireWire hard drive to your local hard drive.

If you're familiar with the command line, you can use the 'bless'
command with the '--folder9' switch to bless a a Mac OS 9.x System
Folder for booting from (if supported) or Classic. An example would be:

        bless --folder9 /System\ Folder/

Note: you probably need to run it as root, so make sure you're logged
into an administrator account and use 'sudo', like so:

        sudo bless --folder9 /System\ Folder/

Both these examples assume that the Mac OS 9 System Folder is named
"System Folder" and is in the root of the drive. The backslash before
the space is required.

Otherwise, you'd have to actually start up the computer in Mac OS 9
(from the FireWire hard drive) and re-bless the System Folder on your
hard drive by dragging the Finder and System files out of it and back
in. Of course, that requires that your machine is old enough to
actually boot into Mac OS 9 and also to boot into Mac OS 9.1.x
(preferably you'd try one of you 9.2.2 System Folders to try to avoid
that limitation).

I hope that helps.

Sincerely,

Morgan Aldridge