Re: [NTLK] HELP! Can't restart in OS X

From: Clayton Mitchell <claytonmitchell_at_mac.com>
Date: Thu Jul 20 2006 - 11:45:28 EDT

Jim Hello, this is a bugger and has happened to me recently. I have
a lampstand iMac that I know is 9 bootable. I have not booted into 9
in like 2 years on it. It has 10.4.5 on the X side. When I went to
the control panel in 10 and selected the 9 boot partition and
restarted I got the flashing icon of death. Rebooted using the
option key to select a boot partition and nothing, just the flashing
question mark "no boot folder" you are experiencing. The only way I
was able to recover the HD was to run DiskWarrior. I did this dance
twice in a row ( I am a glutton for punishment). At the time I
thought it may have been the way I upgraded the machine. But after
reading your account it sounds like it is some issue with 10.4.+
blessing the 9 partition and unblessing the 10 partition. I feel you
pain if it is your only machine because nothing I did except run DW
would make the drives bootable again. I ran the install CD and
DiskUtility. I reset the p-ram. I booted from a 9 CD. Nothing
would bless the 10 partition or make the 9 partition bootable. I
have not had more time to mess with this issue, but I am curious as
to what the cause is.

Hope this helps.

On Jul 19, 2006, at 8:10 PM, Jim Felder wrote:

> I made the mistake of trying to bless my recalcitrant OS 9 folder by
> starting up on a 9.2.2 boot disk. When I did, OS 9 could not see my
> internal drive with 10.4 on it AT ALL. Therefore, I can't change
> startup and can't boot in OS X, therefore I can't use my Powerbook
> until this is resolved.
>
> What to do?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jim