Re: [NTLK] How do you create Newton compatible images

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Fri Jul 28 2006 - 12:12:05 EDT

On 7/28/2006 10:54 AM, Martin Queen wrote:
> Simply put how do you convert images from say the web or a camera to a
> form that the newton will be able to display? I can't seem to find
> anything on this.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Martin.

Depends on the Newton in question. Anything before a MP2x00 will
requite simple B+W bitmaps (not gray scale). The MP2x00 can use 16
shades of Gray. It is possible to make such images with Photoshop for
example. And I have done it several times.

Then you have to get the image into your Newt. There are several
methods. The best one I have found is X-port. And there is a lite
version that comes with Photoshow. So for $10 you get a method to
display photos as well as upload them to your Newton. The only catch is
it only works with a MP2x00. X-port the full version is great if you
can get a copy. The only downside is if you have a Mac, it requires
Classic I believe (the desktop side).

There are other methods for getting images on your Newt. You can put
them in a NewtonBook using Press. Download them over the internet via
email or web browser (email is probably the easier of the two). There
is also a method that was discussed using Works, NCU and cut and paste
that works for some people that was recently discussed. I am sure there
are other methods I haven't covered and others will chime in on.

-Dan