Re: [NTLK] "Upgrading NIE"

From: Alex Santos <izabella.misiewiczsantos_at_neostrada.pl>
Date: Sun Jun 04 2006 - 19:53:50 EDT

On Jun 4, 2006, at 3:09 AM, Martin Joseph wrote:

> Keep in mind though that Paul is our foremost Newton systems
> developer.

He most certainly is…thank goodness we have him.

> His opinion is not lightly given. When he says "there will be no new
> NIE" he isn't just whistling dixie.
>
> …
> While Einstein may not help the MP2100 be a better internet platform,
> it certainly could provide us in the future with a way to enjoy "the
> NEWTON" experience on a standards based platform (ie Unixy system with
> X11) and have all the other benefits of that transition too.
I hope it will not be too complex, where can I find more info on the
best platform for running the Newton Emulator? I have two Newtons,
would I be eligible to run Einstein?

> I personally would rather give my dollars (or zazafroomonkies if you
> will) to Paul if it could help make Einstein move forward more
> quickly.

I second the emotion only because it seems that upgrading NIE would
be too huge a task. How long have the donations been going on for? I
have wireless for my Newton and I can connect through an ethernet
cable and get on the web and I can attest to the fact that it is very
slow in rendering pages and/or downloading pages is quite slow. The
number of browsers and their functionality seem confusing to m - I'm
not clear on what the best browser.