Re: [NTLK] What the Newton "essence" is?

From: Ken Hallenius <ken_at_hallenius.org>
Date: Mon Jun 05 2006 - 03:29:28 EDT

On Jun 4, 2006, at 9:50 AM, zendrew@mac.com wrote:
> Just for fun I'll add this: there is a eBook reader coming on the
> market that is tantalizingly like what I envision an updated Newton
> should look like: the form factor of the iRex iLiad http://
> www.irextechnologies.com/shop/products/iliad.htm (minus a lot of
> unnecessary buttons) would be perfect for an updated Newton.
Wow, this sort of device is almost exactly what I could use for my
studies. I'm a Masters' level student in a Great Books of the Western
World program, so I make a lot of notes in books, where there is
never enough room in the margins. I've longed for a sheet-sized
interface that would allow me to markup original texts

In past, I've tried making my own Newton books using the texts from
Project Gutenberg (most of my class materials are freely available),
but since I've moved to OSX, I haven't had the ability to do so.
David Fedor's Paperback under Classic doesn't allow markup like a
real Newton Book, either... I've also tried simply importing the
plaintext into my NewtonWorks (I use an eMate currently), but that's
not the same as writing directly on the original pages.

With an iRex, I could scan the original pages into a PDF, and then
I'd have the ability to make my notes directly on the page, no matter
where I was (I like to take my books with me when I travel or putz
around town, and that gets bulky when I have 5 or 6 volumes going at
a time). Ahh, the future...