Re: [NTLK] "PackageFlag Changer 0.1a2" by T. Murai

From: Ed Kummel <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Jun 06 2006 - 23:23:12 EDT

Disablign compression on a Newt? I don't know if this is smething that newt does natively, but I didn't know that it did compression...if so, it's a new one on me!
  I do know that if you freeze packages, the Newt becomes a little more stable and a little more responsive, but that's due to increased heap space...As for speed testing? The Newt Implant site offered an implant speed test tool to verify that the implant acellerated the Newt. I have a copy of it on my site. You can get it here:
  http://newton.tek-ed.com/pkgdldr.cfm?type=1&index=42
  Watch out though, even on an acellerated newt, this app takes a long while to run.
  Ed
  web/gadget guru
DJ Vollkasko <DJ_Vollkasko@gmx.net> wrote:
  Hmh, does disabling compression give a speed benefit running
applications? And how much?
Should work, shouldn't it, as decompressing costs dearly in terms of
CPU--or does the Newton handle this differently?

And thinking about speed--do we have a benchmarking suite to run on
Newtons and clock them? Would be handy to have that around and compare
speeds of original Newts against Einsteinian Dr. Moreau-creatures, and
rank these amongst themselves, if one should be so interested.

"Traveling on a domestic airline with children on board is like traveling with a Chihuahua with diarrhea"
   Jerry Clavner, a sociology and anthropology professor from Cleveland.