Re: [NTLK] Data Retrieval

From: Ivan Kowalenko <ivan.kowalenko_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jun 21 2006 - 19:50:31 EDT

On Jun 21, 2006, at 18.10, Lord Groundhog wrote:

> ~~~ On 2006/06/12 21:54, Sonny Hung at sonnyhung@gmail.com wrote ~~~
>
> <snip>
>> Only requirements is Proof of Ownership (the same standards as Frank
>> has instituted)

I would assume that in this case, someone by the name of "Frank" (we
may never know what this person's name was...) gave a set of
standards of which to measure the authenticity of your ownership. In
other words, according to Frank, if you meet points A, B, and C,
you're the owner (assuming no one says your a thief).

>> ... the last
>> Owner listed in
>> the Owner Card.

I think this is something like what Palm OS has, where the owner's
information is listed in the Newton as the "Owner." Or it might be
some kind of physical card attached to the Newton. Additional
research for us n00bs is required.

>> If you have a Newton that was locked that you legally purchased you
>> can provide that prior owner's contact info - after verification and
>> confirmation with the data on the Newton I will be able to assist
>> you.

If you get a Newton that is locked, and the owner information doesn't
match yours, he/she will call whoever is listed as the Owner, just to
make sure this is YOUR Newton, and not theirs.

If you ask me, this was part of the policy that probably didn't need
to be mentioned. I mean, if I had a stolen, locked Newton, then I
would probably avoid this service. If I didn't know that this was
done, I might risk sending it in, and probably would be caught. Meh,
but there's probably some legal reason for disclosing this.

> Sonny,
>
> As a relatively ignorant newcomer to the Newton world, I have no
> idea what
> these 3 things mean.

Yeah, probably citing the rules would be a good idea (or at least a
link where to find the rules). I dunno if this mailing list has a
searchable archive, like MPlayer, MythTV, and Transcode do.