Re: [NTLK] Newton Museum Torrents

From: Larry Yaeger <lsynewtal_at_beanblossom.in.us>
Date: Fri Jun 30 2006 - 16:35:00 EDT

At 5:09 PM +0200 6/30/06, Adriano wrote:
>Once you have completed a torrent download, you will need to keep it
>in the download folder in order to continue to seed it.
>
>Adriano
>
>30/giu/06 Dan wrote:
>
> > On 6/30/2006 9:21 AM, Paul Braun wrote:
> > L.W. Brown wrote:
> >> However, it looks like my client (BitTorrent OSX) is now
> >> offline, since I don't see any activity indicators.
> >> How do I continue to help with the distribution?
> >
>> I am not familiar with that particular client. But in general as long
> > as you leave the client open it will seed. But that can vary from
> > client to client.

Just FYI, Azureus on Mac OS X will continue uploading until you
manually stop it, as long as you leave the file in the download
folder. But BitTorrent for OS X will upload until you've hit a
pre-specified share ratio (which is pretty low by default; 0.8, I
think) and then stop uploading. Both clients have their advantages
and disadvantages (Azureus in incredibly flexible, but not very
Mac-like and requires multiple steps to initial a download;
BitTorrent is remarkably simple, but not quite as flexible.)

I'm using Azureus for this, and will also keep uploading for a while.
Quite a few seeds and peers, and it's uploading quickly.

I'm also downloading (and uploading) the unna torrent. Not many
seeds, but it's trickling in.

I tried starting a download of the unna mirrors torrent, but no one
appears to be seeding it. If someone can make that available, I'll
continue to seed it for a while.

- larryy