Re: [NTLK] Bootstrapped! D'oh!

From: Keyth Owen <keyth.owen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Mar 01 2006 - 13:37:06 EST

OK. Problem #2: Wegener Media.

To be fair to them, they did send me a GREAT eMate in excellent
condition. Everything works, looks good, and it even came with a
manual.

The bad news: They're still building power supplies themselves. On the
phone I told them that if they were going to send me a Radio Shack
power supply with a new tip on it, that they could skip it and deduct
the price from my total.

They sent me a Radio Shack power BRICK with a Newton-sized tip on it.
The brick is the wrong voltage entirely.

Oh, it powers the system. It also charged the battery in about 3
minutes and prompted the Newton to yell at me about the power being too
high, and that AC adapter not being able to charge the battery. I
yanked it quickly. No smoke. The eMate is fine, apparently. The battery
might have issues (we'll see) but I won't know for sure until I get a
real power supply. The good news: I managed to order one online for a
decent price ($19USD) and should have it by the end of the week.

So now, I'm waiting on my memory upgrade from KN, my powerbook 1400
from an eBay auction (which I'll try to use to transfer some packages,
but I may run into a problem there as the 1400 has no built-in ethernet
or moden, and only a floppy drive, and I have only modern Macs without
floppy drives. I do have a WaveLAN card I might get the 1400 to utilize
to get online and download the packages (or transfer from my G4) but if
the 1400 proves to be uncooperative, I will have to meet up with
somebody to get some basic packages on the eMate.

I tried the dock all sorts of ways. It seems like the Belkin USB
adapter just doesn't want to talk to my PowerBook G4. Drivers are
installed, but the computer just doesn't see the eMate when I try to
dock. The USB adapter sees the eMate (and gets a signal from it) but
the information doesn't make it as far as NewTen or NCU.

On another note, thanks to everyone who has offered to help. I'll let
you know later if my other attempts at getting things to work are
successful, and if not someone can meet me and we'll do a little
transfer or two. The Newton community is surely one of the better ones
of which I've been a part. Thanks again, guys.

Keyth