Re: [NTLK] Bootstrapped! D'oh

From: Frank Gruendel <newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de>
Date: Wed Mar 01 2006 - 16:01:01 EST

> Hey! I got the eMate finally, and although it's REALLY in great
> condition, the serial port seems to be betraying me. It looks a little
> chewed-up, so it could be that the port is just dead, or it could be
my
> Belkin Serial-to-USB adapter. Either way, I can't install packages.

Are you trying this through the eMate's MiniDin connector or through
the interconnect port? The interconnect port connector is occasionally
torn off the mainboard because it is only fastened by the tiny soldering
pads. When this problem starts, i. e. before you can SEE it, the eMate
often acts unreliably when using the interconnect port. Sometimes it
works,
sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the eMate does actually connect, but
fails at actually transferring data.
At any rate you should try using the port that you are currently NOT
using,
just to make sure the serial interface itself works.

> So... is that loaner card out there?

Yes. It must be one that can be written in an eMate, which are a tad
hard to come by. This is because the easiest way to get things onto
your eMate is by writing a backup to the card and restoring it to your
eMate.

> NCU doesn't want to work. NewTen won't do it, either. My
> WaveLAN card won't work yet, obviously.

Which desktop machine are you trying to connect to? If it is a
state-of-the-art PC, you might need to have one or more instances
of slowdown.exe (www.unna.org) running.

Frank