Re: [NTLK] MP2100 internet over ethernet: something new, something old.

From: William Pociengel <hseldon_at_my.wgu.edu>
Date: Thu Mar 02 2006 - 23:37:20 EST

hellsop@ninehells.com wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 02:29:12PM +0100, Johannes Wolf wrote:
>
>>First off:
>>if the LED on the router is not lit while the ethernet card in your Newt is
>>ACTIVE, there is something wron in your HARDWARE.
>

> True, if "active" means actually attempting to send data. Not all
> routers light simply based on having a valid link from card to port, or
If they have a LINK light then it all occurs at the HW level no SW
required. many lowend network hubs/switchs have only an ACTIVITY light,
they forgo the LINK and COLLISION lights to save on costs (as most users
have no idea what those lights tell them anyway. a network card with
power applied to it will activate the LINK light, no computer required.

william

ps your newt does not power up the network card unless it's activly using it

PPS My next batch of DVD's should be going out this Sat. for those of
you who have recieved yours if you'd like to contribute I'd take a
couple of $$ or blank DVD+R ;-)

--
special knowledge can be a terrible disadvantage if it leads you too far
along a path that you cannot explain anymore.