Re: [NTLK] Newtsync Failure on Names/Address Book

From: Sonya Hipper <sonyalynn_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Mon Mar 06 2006 - 12:32:19 EST

Bernie (et al),

When I recently was having an issue with an NewtSync Address Book
sync dying part-way thru, what I did was a bit radical, but it
worked. Note: Before you do this, BACK UP TO YOUR LINEAR FLASH CARD!
(Sorry for the CAPS...but it's important.)

My recommendation is to use Eckhart Koeppen's amazing Neo and Nitro
software to send the Names to your Mac in vCard format (Both
available at http://www.40hz.org ), delete the Newt's Names storage,
and let NewtSync bring it all back over after dragging your resulting
vCard into Address Book.

Essentially, after being sure you have Neo and Nitro installed with
all other required packages (which will be detailed at Eck's
site...like Blunt if you're gonna do this over Bluetooth, which is a
mighty handy way to do it, I must say!), here's what you do...

1) Do your backup.
2) Go into Names, select the "All Names" group so as not to miss
anyone, and check all.
3) Your transit choices here are IRObEx (infrared), BTObEx
(Bluetooth), or email using your Newt email client of choice (this
requires being internet-connected, of course!). (I'm not gonna give
details on how to do any of these since they're all documented
elsewhere.)
4) Regardless of the means, you end up with a vCard (.vcf) on your
Mac. Drag this into Address Book.Handle dupes however you like...I
can't tell you what to do here since it's your data.
5) On the Newt, go into Extras->Storage and select the Names store.
Delete it. (This is why the backup is SO important!)
6) Run NewtSync's Address Book sync, being sure you have the latest
and greatest (Available here: http://www.thenowhereman.com/hacks/
newton/index.html ), WITH IT SET TO GIVE THE MAC PRECEDENCE IN CASE
OF DUPLICATES.

This *should* work. NewtSync's Address Book sync, IME, only seems to
choke on the Newt-to-Mac direction, and not so much going the other
way, given valid data in Address Book.

Consequences of doing this: Any Names enhancement app data, like
MoreInfo, will be lost. Custom fields will most likely be lost. If
this is a Bad Thing™, you might want to seek another way...but like I
said, this really seems to work.

I just wish I knew what kind of data NewtSync would choke on so I
could be 100% sure to avoid entering it in Names to prevent this.

It's kind of a "burn this village in order to save it approach"...but
you shouldn't have to do it again anytime soon after a successful
run. I was lucky that the Dates and Notes entries I have linked to my
Names entries were all clearly labeled as such (e.g. "Directions to
So-and-so's Place", "Dinner with You-know-who"), so re-linking things
wasn't a huge chore.

In any event...I've been sync-ing smoothly since. :-)

Good luck!
-Sonya

On 3/5/06, Bernie Goltermann <bagoltermann@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "I think I used NCU in Classic to export it into Now, and from Now,
> used
> their Address Book Sync to move
> everything into the Address Book."
>
> I been lurking on and off for a good 6+ years. My half hearted
> attempts
> to get my Newtons addresses over
> to my Mac running Panther or Tiger have all failed. (I know they
> should
> be full hearted attemps!)
> The above comment caught my attention. Can anyone point me to info on
> how to do this step by step?

==
     "I urge you all today, especially today during these
times of chaos and war, to love yourself without reservations
and to love each other without restraint. Unless you're into
leather. And then, by all means, use restraints."
                                                 —Margaret Cho

Sonya Hipper
sonyalynn@earthlink.net
AIM: SonyaLynn