Re: [NTLK] ATA Cards

From: Marcus Hammerschmitt <Marcus.Hammerschmitt_at_t-online.de>
Date: Wed Mar 08 2006 - 04:37:27 EST

At 08:32 08.03.2006, you wrote:

>Marcus, is there a reason for formatting the cards into chunks instead of
>one large partition?

My reason is I want to have compartments for different audio related data,
like audio books and music. You can of course use Paul's driver to establish
one giant partition, but I presume this might be not too advisable.
I sure got the impression that the larger the partition the more noticeable the system
overhead in handling them.

>Does the Newt see a card with, say, 4 partitions as 4
>cards?

Yes it does see four stores.

>Also, have you ever noticed the ATA storage being any less reliable
>data integrity wise than the internal memory or a linear flash card? Thanks.

I have a distinct problem with removing single mp3-packages from partitions.
Attempting this, I relied on MadNewton. This resulted reproduceably in
shredded partitions, which weren't even mountable anymore. Obviously
Eckhart's MadNewton and Paul's ATA-driver don't integrate seamlessly
(no offense to anyone, they both did a great job in putting their software together).
Trying to use SoupKitchen to remove single mp3s from large audio soups
got me mixed results. There was some success in removal, but handling,
especially scrolling the list of installed mp3s was so slow and unreliable
as to be unusable. If anyone knows of o good soft which can easily handle
large audio soups, I'd be delighted to hear of it.

That said, I don't think these problems extend to other kind of data, though
I haven't tested this extensively enough to say for sure.

Best,

Marcus

http://www.cityinfonetz.de/homepages/hammerschmitt/high.html
http://www.flickr.com/photos/concord/