[NTLK] Newton Works import to card with NCU

From: Giulio Marchi <emfdb_at_tiscali.it>
Date: Sat Mar 11 2006 - 19:06:54 EST

Well, maybe the following can avoid some headache.

I was moving rtf files through a serial connection from a PC to a 2100
with NCU, some to the internal memory and some other to a card, and
everything was going fine, apart from some occasional problem due to
the rtf format. I switched the card and NCU started refusing to move
files to this card reporting that either Newton Works was not installed
or it had never been used before.

I was starting to imagine any type of conflict and unknown or
unreported bug when a search on the list gave the following result.
Therefore I am aware that this posting is just a repetition but this
"known issue" is so weird, at least to me, that maybe a repetition will
not harm.

> Newton Connection Utilities: Newton Works Import Message
> When I try to import information from my computer into Newton Works,
> I get a message that says "Please make sure Newton Works is installed
> on your Newton device, and you have run it at least once." I have run
> Newton Works before.
>

> In order to import information from your desktop computer into Newton
> Works, a Newton Works data structure, technically referred to as a
> "soup," must exist in the desired storage area.
>
> Newton Works does not create a soup on a PC card if there is already
> one on the internal store, unless a Newton Works document has been
> filed or created on the card.
>
> If you intend to save Newton Works files to a PC card, you must
> create or file at least one Newton Works document to the card, prior
> to importing.
>
> Similarly, if you intend to save Newton Works files to the internal
> store, you must create or file at least one Newton Works document to
> the internal store, prior to importing.

A Newton Works document can not be moved to a card (or to the internal
memory) unless at least one Newton Works document was already present
in the card (or in the internal memory). Actually problems started when
I tried to move documents to an empty card.

Hope this may help someone and save some time. I would have *never*
figured it out on my own.

Regards,

Giulio