Re: [NTLK] Newton Bluetooth for newbies

From: Adriano <adriano.angelillis_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon Mar 13 2006 - 22:00:59 EST

Eckhart,

much thanks for leaving your responses.

Then please read below:

> On 13. Mar 2006, at 20:32, Adriano wrote:
>
>> The point is that Blunt is not only a Newton GUI to let us use the
>> Pico Card,
>> instead [if i understood it well] it also partially replaces the
>> stack installed on the card.
>
> Correct, Blunt does not use the SPP profile, but implements RFCOMM
> itself, as well as SDP for service discovery.

I really can't imagine how could you do that.

>> Note that the theoretical max speed of the serial port in Newtons
>> (which is a rs-422 Geoport connector) is of 2Mbit/s (2.000.000,00
>> bps).
>
> This however requires the use of an external clock.

Although i am aware that if using external clocking the serial port
could get higher speeds,
such technology had been applied only on big industries.

I wonder if you would have some info about any possible "clocking"
application a bit more consumer related instead.

In example, i know that applying a 1Mhz pulse generator on Hski (pin2
on mini-din8)
one would easy estabilish gibberish communications running at 1Mbit/s
while in order to get the signals properly encoded/decoded,
some "special" coding would be needed to be runt on both sender and
receiver terminals,
and i can't imagine if such code could be written for Newton OS.

A somewhat similar question about Newton speeds on bluetooth coms:

Would it be possible to make Newton OS handle more than 230400bps?

>> On Blunt preferences there's the option for selecting the desired
>> connection speed.
>
> Right, however it only determines how fast the Newton talks to the
> Bluetooth module, and not how fast the (virtual/RFCOMM) serial
> connection is.

Infact, if the Pico card is locked to 230400bps and Blunt is left to
deafult settings (115200bps),
bluetooth transfer will get really hard to be estabilished.

Kind regards,

Adriano