Re: [NTLK] CF card adapter, eMate batteries and other questions

From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Mar 15 2006 - 21:16:42 EST

On 3/14/06, SarahStryker@aol.com <SarahStryker@aol.com> wrote:
> I was at Micro-Center the other day and thought I'd take a look at the PCMCIA
> CF card adapters and found just one in stock, by Dazzle. Would this be
> compatible with the MP 2100 and eMate? I really would like to have some
> additonal storage capacity for apps, utilities, games and the like....

Did you ever get that CF Adapter?
Well here is a picture of the one I got.
http://flickr.com/photos/sonnyhung/98089614/in/set-72057594062835904/
http://tinyurl.com/fml4q

Here is where I got it from. $6.95 USD plus shipping of course... but
dirt cheap..
http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecsplash/search/search.asp?Search=viking+cf+adapter&NavID_Search=false&CurDSN=simple&calledfrom=1&incimage=on
http://tinyurl.com/z4zks

> Also, I powered my eMate up for the very first time using the power adapter
> that came with my MP 2100 and got a message on the screen that the main
> battery needs to be replaced. What type of battery is that? I turned it over and it
> looks like it needs a T6 or T8 driver to access the battery compartment.

Here is a photo of the Rechargeable Pack from the eMate 300,
http://flickr.com/photos/sonnyhung/113093529/in/photostream/
http://tinyurl.com/r9mp5

of course that's after the removal of the torx screws...

You do have a few choices.
1) Buy a re-celled pack, either on eBay or from another list member
who does this.
2) Buy a new (old) pack, or used pack off eBay which I have seen.
3) Buy or perform the eMate Battery Tray Hack which others have
probably mentioned...

> Also, I can't access anything more than the basic programs installed, obviously
> because of the teacher setup. I found a 'how-to-do' for the hard reset in the
> archives and tried to do that but it didn't do anything.. I am wondering if the
> eMate needs to have fully functioning, charged batteries in order for a hard
> reset to work?

No this has nothing to do with the Battery Condition.
You need to preform a HARD RESET.
Check Frank's site www.pda-soft.de if you need instructions...
After you are prompted to erase data (by those instructions) you say
Yes, then confirm Yes again when asked again.. this will bring your
eMate back to the factory default and without the Teacher Password or
Setup... do not select Teacher Setup in the future.

> Also, if the hard reset is successful, do I have to reinstall the
> OS or just the programs that are on it now? I don't have the original CD,
> unfortunately as I bought the eMate as a barebones system on eBay (no stylus,
> adapter or accessories)...your advice and suggestions would be much appreciated!

Being that I' not sure what system you have or what accessories or
cables and such I can't suggest how to install packages...

> Also, for the MP 2100, is there a utility or program that enlarges the size
> of icons, type and and so on? It's hard for me to see things on the screen even
> with my glasses, and such an utility would be a HUGE help for me.

I think there is one to squeeze the number of icon viewable but not
sure if they have one to make them bigger.. since most of the time
people want to see more icons...

I hope some of this helps Sally.

--
God bless,