Re: [NTLK] Html rendering on Newton

From: Adriano <adriano.angelillis_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu Mar 16 2006 - 13:10:22 EST

> It would be a huge job to re-implement a TCP/IP stack, plus make it
> backwards-compatible with NIE.

I can't imagine what a powerful portable web renderer
a MessagePad2100 could become with its 167Mhz cpu
and a 2006 version of the NIE tcp/ip stack, but i feel that
Newton OS's full multitasking capabilities would make
the web experience as pleasant as on taking notes or drawing
sketches, etc...

Althogh NewtScape actually can render the graphics (not as NewtHopper
or Courier)
the problems in the Newton OS internet stack makes it seems only a
slow web emulator.
(consider that NewtScape is really powerful, and Steve Weyer did what
nobody else was able to)

I can't imagine how difficult it would be, but i can comprehend and
really trust
to your words on how much difficult it would be to completely rewrite
the NIE protocols.
So if a developer could be able and interested to do that, he/she
won't be able to do it
using only his/her free time, so i think we should consitute a
"foundation".

Getting donations and constituting a fund, we will be able to pay for
any efforts on this project.
If anything won't come out, we could use the money for the next WWNC
or just refund back each buck.

I wouldn't put such page online myself cause i feel that there are
much many people here who should get such honour, really.

Please let me hear your feedback. We can do it. Don't you?

Adriano