Re: [NTLK] I didn't fry the slots!

From: Ed Kummel <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Mar 24 2006 - 15:13:29 EST

I lost a Newt due to a damages slot.
  A friend purchased a Bluetooth card for his laptop and I popped it in my newt to see if it would recognize it...It didn't. When I popped it out, I found that the card would no longer work.
  I unassembled my Newt and looked at the pins and found several pins had been pushed in and had torn the traces off of the MB where they were connected. I tried to fix it, but since this is a multi-layered board, it was futile...It's really sad since this was my first 2000 (UMP). It was a pre-release that Apple sent to the company I was working for at the time...I can't bring myself to swap the mobo, and instead will leave it like it is....
  Ed
  web/gadget guru
  Download Newton packages directly onto your Newton: http://newton.tek-ed.com

Josh Burker <newt_talk@mac.com> wrote:
  Wow: I was extremely stressed there for a minute!

I let the Newton 2100 sit for about 10 minutes with no power, no
battery, and the cards popped out of the slots.

I then did a hard reset to reboot the Newton. The slots now work.

Any clue what crippled them temporarily? I would like to take the
Newton to a conference where there will be free Wifi, instead of
carting along the PowerBook. Bad idea?

Thanks,

Josh

"Dah-doo-weeeeeee   da-da-da-doo-we dow!"