Re: [NTLK] GPS fings...

From: Johannes Wolf <mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.int>
Date: Mon Mar 27 2006 - 01:45:54 EST

I do not remember whether or not it has been reported on the list that
GPSMap will work with the Haicom 303e + CF adapter.
What GPSMap is expecting is serial NMEA data via a serial port (that might
be provided by the GPS card via PCMCIA).

Regarding the Maps I probably need to make you disappointed, GPSMap is a
very nice program, but by far not that universal that it would create a map
for you.
This is a job you have to do your own, starting from the best map material
you can get, going to the procedure of creating your own Newton Maps. But
doing that you have all freedom possible to define your map tiles (it is not
wise to produce only one map for a larger area, you divide the map into map
tiles that slightly overlap, but GPSMap will do the smart thing to
automagically switch between the tiles). Another great feature of GPSMap is
to automatically switch to the map tile with the higher resolution in case
the actual position is within this tile (example: you have an area map with
a city and a city map with higher resolution - as soon as you enter the city
GPSMap will automatically switch to the city map)

Cheers,
Johannes