Re: [NTLK] Stiff keys on keyboard

From: James Fraser <fast_fierce_and_funny_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed Mar 29 2006 - 06:21:51 EST

John Charlton <johncharlton_at_mac.com> said:

>I think the only thing you can do is buy a Stowaway keyboard and
>adapter.

I'll bite: do you happen to know anyone who is *currently* selling one of
these? Please let me know if you do.

If nothing else, the Stowaway would be nice to use because of its compact
size. It's too bad that Apple didn't come up with the "foldable keyboard"
idea for the Newton line, but they can't think of everything.

>Nice light touch. My Newton keyboard is also stiff and noisy.

The feel of a keyboard is a very personal thing, but all of the "good"
keyboards seem, to me, to be on the stiff and noisy side. Of course, these
are very relative terms: your "stiff" is my "crisp." [smile]

I was quite surprised to learn that the Newton keyboard is a membrane-style
keyboard. I'm a slave to the Model M keyboard myself (stiff, noisy, lovely)
and thought that the Newton keyboard would be the usual mushpad that passes
for a keyboard nowadays. While it's certainly not as "clicky" as a Model M,
it does feel crisp to me; it's a welcome surprise.

Best,

James Fraser