Re: [NTLK] strange thing in july 2009?

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Sun May 07 2006 - 02:41:42 EDT

On 5/7/06, Dan <dan@dbdigitalweb.com> wrote:
> Again this is all if I remember correctly....but I am sure if i am wrong
> someone will mention it. ;)

Yup! ;-)

I remember when this bug was first discovered, I backed up my Newton,
and set a date in 2010, and it did something wonky. I forget now. I
did this back in 1997 or 1998, and my brain is fuzzy re: the results.
I had to do a brain wipe in the end, but now that I think of it, I
don't think I tried the "stylus on the edge of the screen, and not
activating packages" trick. That might work enough for you to go into
the Extras/Storage, and wipe your Dates file. At the time, I simply
planned to do a brain wipe if it went wonkers, so I never tried it! I
have a spare Newton sitting here now. Maybe I'll try it--but not
today. I'm far too busy today. But in any case, Avi Drissman did a
quick hack to "fix" it, and I ran the hack, and it kept my Newton from
going beserk, and I kept the package on my 130, but that Newton is
long gone, and I don't have the package to try it again. However, even
Avi said that the package had never been truly tested. Somebody else
(Paul G?) I think, did some further work on it.

You should be able to find it with a Google search, or on UNNA.org.

However, before that, try the soft reset, holding the stylus on the
left edge of the screen, and when a window pops up asking if you want
to activate packages on the internal store, say "No" and repeat for
your card, and see if that cures your ills to give you the opportunity
to wipe your Dates file, which, I'm afraid, is hosed. If it doesn't
work, you _will_ have to do a brain wipe.

BTW, I'm guessing that you set a repeat on that date, as well as an
alarm, right? ;-)

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland