Re: [NTLK] Newton Serial Numbers & Newton IDs

From: Frank Gruendel <newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de>
Date: Sun Oct 01 2006 - 19:11:24 EDT

> I wanted to start a Global Newton Repository of Serial Numbers and
> NewtonIDs which would be associated with an Owner Name.

I've considered offering something like this some time ago, too,
but decided against it because there probably wouldn't be many
people feeding this repository. Also, I doubt that people would
update the repository after selling or trashing their Newtons.

Theoretically it's an exellent idea, though.

Talking of Newton Ids: It's certainly a good idea to write it
on a piece of paper and put it in a safe place, so that people can
give the police something to work with when a Newton is stolen.
Do this while you still have your Newton ;-)
Since I'm not so much a sheet-of-paper person, I mail data like this
to an e-mail address exclusively reserved for this. That way if
something gets stolen, like my Newton, my traveller checks, my credit
card or whatever, all I need is web access to tell the police all
they need.

Be aware that the mainboards of the MP2000, the MP2100 and the eMate
have a unique ID number burnt into a chip on the mainboard. You can
e. g. use NewtTest (software section of the site in the signature)
to get at this number.

Frank