Re: [NTLK] Bad Re-celled Rechargeable Pack for MP2000/2100

From: Frank Gruendel <newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de>
Date: Sun Oct 01 2006 - 19:11:24 EDT

> 1. The re-celled rechargeable pack was way WAY out of specs regarding
> it's physical dimensions. It was too THICK to be inserted into the
> Newton.

With state of the art cells this is always the case unless you use a
dremel tool to remove a bit from the inside of the pack before putting
in the new cells. Even after doing this it will be a tight fit
occasionally.

> I examined the Newton Users Newton and it had a few of
> the case screws loosened to accommodate the pack...

Wow. Ingenious solution :-(

> I was given permission
> to tear the pack down and investigate deeper and discovered that who
> ever re-celled the rechargeable pack used (4) AA NiCD 1000 mAh Cells
> (happened to be RadioShack Brand).

If the receller wasn't really knowing what he was doing, I'd call this
a bad mistake. If he was aware of what he was doing, I'd file this as
aggravated assault.

> Now we know that the OEM Rechargeable Packs are filled with (4) AA
> NiMH 1200 mAh Cells (usually Green; I believe Varitech OEM Brand or
> Unlabeled)

Many were manufactured by Varta.

> only proves to remind us to be careful about re-celled rechargeable
> packs from unknown sources and what not...

Yep. And to point out that it isn't really that difficult to do it
yourself:

    http://www.pda-soft.de/mp2k_battery_pack.html

Frank