[NTLK]

From: Javier Monllor <jmonll2_at_uic.edu>
Date: Sat Oct 07 2006 - 12:42:23 EDT

Well, I just spent a few hours playing with Bluetooth and Wifi on my
MP 2000 and have a few comments and findings I'd like to make. Sorry
for the old schoolers if this is all old news but I'm posting it just
in case.

I find Blunt for bluetooth to be completely reliable to receive files
but very picky when sending them. By inserting the card and sending a
file from my iMac, the MP connects without a hitch. Now, when it's
time to send them, it's a whole other matter. First I always have to
go to bluetooth setup and hit "Find services" unless I want to get
error messages (this is not necessary when receiving files). After I
"Find Services" I can them send a note just fine, unless, the note
only has a sketch, then I start getting more error messages and
bluetooth will only work again after a reset. If a note contains text
and a sketch, bluetooth sending works. It seems to be that Blunt has
trouble with files who only have sketches in them. Another thing I
find annoying is having to specify which PCMCIA port the card will be
inserted into. When I'm fondling with a lot of cards I forget which
one it has to go into. Is this necessary? How come this step isn't
needed for WiFi or memory cards?

WiFi, after having ethernet working, was an easy undertaking.
Installed all of the drivers (in my case including Lantern and More
Wifi) and can connect to my Airport Extreme Base Station without WEP
easily. I can then receive mail with IMAP and send it using SMTP on
Mail V. I haven't tried using a web browser but have no intention to
do it. I haven't tried WEP, and don't plan to as I think Hirochi's
driver has to be registered for this to work and that's impossible at
the moment.

After all this, I'm happy with my MP 2000 except for the memory.
After installing all these drivers I'm starting to get more low
memory messages and have been considering now getting a MP 2100. I
have frozen most of the packages but still, seems like the extra
memory would be helpful.

Hope this helps other people and gives some feedback to developers.
I'm really proud of what you have all accomplished.

Tovi