Re: [NTLK] Sync Newton using Basilisk II

From: Abraham Limpo Martínez <abraham_at_familialimpo.net>
Date: Thu Oct 12 2006 - 14:52:53 EDT

Alex Santos escribió:
> On Oct 11, 2006, at 1:59 PM, Abraham Limpo Martínez wrote:
>

>> IIRC, all macs ditched their serial ports long ago.
>>

> Yes I have no serial ports, but I do have a keyspan serial adapter.
> Why wouldn't that work?
>

>> Be aware that not
>> all applications recognice or work correctly with serial emulators,
>> specially applications that require complete control.

An USB to serial adapter is what I call a "serial emulator". Note that
much of my experience is under windows (my macs are as old as my newton,
thanks!). Some applications that want to contact the serial port to very
low level (ie: bypassing the OS drivers) have trouble with USB to serial
and USB to parallel adapters; common applications that have troubles are
PIC programmers and emulators. So my suggestion was that if you're
unable to use serial port under Basilisk II, it is peharps because of this.
>> If this is your case, and you have a LAN adapter for your newton, it
>> would be easier to connect your newton via appletalk.
>>

> I will install the LAN Software on the Newton today or in the next
> few days as I recently brain wiped my Newton intentionally a couple
> of weeks ago. I will try again and report back.
>

>> I suggest you install a network browser in your emulator, and tweak
>> the
>> network configuration until you can connect to the internet.
>>

> Well the download I made of Mac OS 7.5.5 came with a browser called
> iCab but when I launch it I get the following error displayed in the
> browser window: "The iCab-Preview is expired. Please get the latest
> version of iCab from the iCab download page." The last three words;
> iCab download page, is actually a link but when I click it nothing
> happens.
>
> For some reason, probably an ill configured control panel on the Mac
> OS 7.6 side, I am unable to reach my OSX machine and am sort of stuck
> on island, I can't get to the outside world from BasiliskII and I
> don't know how to properly configure the control panels on Mac OS
> 7.6, well I'm assuming it's a control panel at fault…any insight?

Well, quoting the Mac OS X version of the emulator manual:

    Networking

If your Mac is networked, then your emulated MacOS can also access that
network:

   1. Open Basilisk II, go to the Preferences, then the Hardware tab,
      and set the emulator's EtherNet interface to slirp
   2. Start the Emulator
   3. In the emulated MacOS, open the TCP/IP Control Panel and set:
          * 'Connect via:' to EtherNet, and
          * 'Configure:' to 'Using DHCP Server'
   4. Restart the emulation.

You should now be able to surf the web, or FTP download software, in the
emulated Mac. Not sure about AppleTalk networking, though.

Note that this does not require the OS X Mac to be using EtherNet, any
working TCP/IP networking should be fine. I have tested it over DHCP
EtherNet (ADSL modem/router at home), and with a static IP address at
work (which also has an external web proxy/firewall).

Hope this helps.

Abraham