[NTLK] Newton IRC part 3

From: Goodwin, Greg P. <GoodwinG_at_aafes.com>
Date: Fri Oct 13 2006 - 10:49:01 EDT

        Welp, I set up a Newton (due to low power consumption) on a IRC channel to log the information. Here is my final assesment of a Newton doing this:

        The Emate was cute. Was responsive for immediate IRC with little buffer. I love the keyboard on a E-Mate. I would love to put 2000 guts in a E-mate, but that for another discussion.
        After a day of logging what happened, the computer was DREADFULLY SLOW. I think the E-mate can handle a buffer of like 500 characters fine.

        Employed a Newton 2000, and that did a bit better. The Newton 2000 deals well with about 2000 character buffers, and starts slowing down at 5000. The Newton 2000 is OK for this application.

        In the end, good at logging or not, there is no easy way to scroll to the top, no way to save the blog as a note (Please correct me if I'm wrong... please!) and so in the end, the Newton, though cute and low on power usage, really kinda sucks as a IRC log computer.

        (IRC log= the idea to leave a computer up while I'm at work and log what happens in the IRC channel. I had in mind to check and clear this log daily.)

        So there we go. Is this basically right, or are there some tips I missed?

        Doc Clu