Re: [NTLK] App cleanup? Possible?

From: Javier Monllor <jmonll2_at_uic.edu>
Date: Wed Oct 18 2006 - 15:41:05 EDT

I think I explained in another message but I'll try and detail the specifics
in this one.

1. Download a jabber client for your specific operating system. I used Psi
for Mac and I believe they have a Windows version. I also tried Adium but
Psi had more features although it's a little overwhelming.

2. Create a jabber account on a public server that allows plain text logins.
I use and recommend njs.netlab.cz. It's been around for a while, allows
plain text login and has tons of services, especially for Yahoo, AIM and MSN
messenger.

3. Once you create your account, login and register the services you want
to use. In my case I registered AIM and MSN. What this does is that it
allows you to chat with people who use MSN and AIM through the jabber
server. This webpage
(http://allforces.com/2005/05/06/ichat-to-msn-through-jabber/) has specific
instructions on how to do this on a Mac. If you're on Windows you might be
able to follow those instructions as long as you use Psi. The page is slow
so be patient, it will eventually load. You need to read all the way to step
4. All other steps are specific to using jabber with iChat on a Mac so you
don't need to read them, unless you want to do that too of course.

4. Once you register the services you want to use (i.e. MSN, Yahoo or AIM)
you need to authorize the specific service. Once you do, your contacts will
show up on Psi. You need to go one by one and authorize them. If you don't
do this, they will not show up on NewtonIM. After authorization, you will be
able to log on to the jabber server and chat with all of your buddies who
use AIM, MSN or Yahoo (if you authorized those services of course).

5. If everything has gone well, its time to go to the Newton. Open up NIM.
Enter your login name (note: I made the mistake to enter my login name the
same as in Psi. This is a mistake and took me a LONG TIME to detect. Psi
requires you to enter your login name followed by the jabber server, i.e.
'loginname@jabberserverhere.com'. In NIM, do not enter the
'@jabberserverhere.com', only enter the 'loginname'). In password, enter
your password. In server enter the server, i.e. 'jabberserverhere.com'.

6. Click on Connect and cross your fingers. If you followed the steps, it
should work and all your contacts will show up. Click on one that is online
and chat away. A keyboard is HIGHLY recommended.

Comments
I find the software works great. The only caveat is that the chat window
doesn't have a scroll bar so if a user is sending you long text or a lot of
messages you can't go up and read the top part or previous messages. Also,
if you're talking to a lot of people, due to limited screen size, its hard
to keep up. This is where the "minimize window to left side of screen" comes
in handy.

I hope this helps. The NIM instructions on the wiki are good but if anyone
is interested, you can put these in there too.

Tovi