Re: [NTLK] install multiple pkgs?

From: Victor Rehorst <victor_at_newtontalk.net>
Date: Thu Oct 19 2006 - 13:05:22 EDT

Steve Trotter wrote:
> I've sniffed around the archives and haven't found a reference to this,
> which is, in itself, a surprise.
> Is there any way to tell my XP box to install multiple packages on my
> 2100, so I may walk away while it works?
> I'm stuck with the serial connection: can't get Ethernet to work after

Yes, you're making sense. On NCU for Mac you can select multiple packages
and drag -> drop them on the NCU window, which installs them all.
Unfortunately NCU for Windows lacks this feature (it's mentioned in the
NCU/Win README)

The only solution I know of for Windows to install multiple packages at once
is to use UnixNPI and pass all the file names (or use wildcards, like *) as
parameters:

http://unixnpi.sf.net/

ie. from a command like:

unixnpi.exe -s 57600 -d /dev/ttyS0 package1.pkg package2.pkg package3.pkg

/dev/ttyS0 is COM1, /dev/ttyS1 is COM2, and so on.

Try it without Slowdown first, you might be surprised.

I also used to invoke UnixNPI as a "Send To" menu function from Windows,
which is handy. Here's how to set it up:

1) download the pre-compiled Windows binaries of UnixNPI.

2) Extract them to a folder on your hard drive, let's assume c:\unixnpi

3) Right-click on unixnpi.exe and choose "Create Shortcut"

4) You've just created "Shortcut to unixnpi.exe" in the current folder.
Right-click it and choose Properties.

5) Under the Shortcut tab, AFTER the text in the Target field, add:
  -s 57600 -d /dev/ttyS0
(tailor these to your settings, eg. serial port)

6) In the General tab, change the name and icon of the shortcut to whatever
you want (say, "Install to Newton"), then click OK

7) Move this shortcut to the SendTo folder in your Windows profile directory,
something like:

C:\Documents and Settings\(your username)\SendTo\

Now, when you right-click a file and highlight Send To... you should see this
option. I guarantee it'll work with one package file, but I'm not sure about
multiple files through this method.

--
Victor Rehorst - victor@newtontalk.net - chuma@chuma.org