[NTLK] Dead Newton 2k upon charging new battery

From: Alex Perkins <alex.j.perkins_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat Oct 21 2006 - 12:33:08 EDT

Hello,

I'm just starting to get back into using my Newton(s) again, as it
fits quite well with everything I'm doing at the moment.

I purchased a 'new' battery for my upgraded 2000, and it's an original
Apple battery, unused, boxed, untampered warning sticker etc, - and
even if it was DeepToast dead I don't see how that could have led to
the following problem...

I attached the power adaptor, removed the previous battery, and slid
in the new one. Then turned off the Newton.

A few minutes later I switched on the Newton, after about 10 seconds
it died - still plugged in.
I'm mostly confused as it was still plugged in! I've tried weak
batteries before that have failed and needed a soft reset, but dying
while plugged in seems strange.

I've tried a soft reset, 20 sec holding in the reset button, hard
reset (power switch then reset button), all without pc cards in the
slot. Nothing. Left it overnight without any power(12 hrs) to see if
that might help - nothing.

As a Newt owner from 1999 (120, 130, emate and this one) I've not
encountered this kind of 'death' before - I'd be surprised if it
really has gone :-(

Any ideas?
Cheers,

Alex