[NTLK] Error -48402 in Extras

From: Rhonda Hyslop <0x7ff00025_at_paradox.homeip.net>
Date: Sun Oct 22 2006 - 20:11:03 EDT

Hello all,

I've been having some trouble with my newton lately, and haven't been
able to find much help from google. I've found what the error number
means (-48402 Expected a string) but no tips for fixing whatever is
causing it. I've found mention of that error a couple of times, in the
Calls app and in NPDS, but not for Extras, which is where I'm seeing
the error.

If possible, I'd prefer not to do a brainwipe, as I haven't yet needed
to and I have a lot of software that I bought eight years ago and have
no idea where or even if I could download them again, what the
registration codes are - or in the case of some of the extensions, that
they're installed at all, because they're so seamless and I've been
using them for so long...

Anyhow, my main problem seems to be that I can't navigate my extras
drawer. Every time I tap the little diamond to bring up the list of
folders, I get the error message -48402. I can still use those programs
in my button bar, and as far as I can see they work fine. I have the
Newton Underground backdrop, which has a tab bar just above the button
bar for quick access to my most commonly used extras folders, and I can
access the Extras drawer through those - mostly. I can't get the
Unfiled folder in Extras through the tab bar. I suspect that it is the
Unfiled folder that's causing the problem, or perhaps its name.

Anyhow, I've been freezing programs and extensions every which way,
trying to track down what's causing it. I now have all my extensions
frozen as well as those programs that aren't sitting in Unfiled, I've
hit the newton's reset button a couple of times, and I've even
unmounted and removed my memory card, but I can't seem to get rid of
this error.

Has anybody seen this before, or perhaps does anybody have any
suggestions for things I can try, either to fix it or narrow down what
it might be?

Thanks...
  -Rhonda