Re: [NTLK] Rent a coder?

From: Matt Emson <memsom_at_interalpha.co.uk>
Date: Fri Oct 27 2006 - 04:52:14 EDT

Hi there,

> Interesting thread. Best wishes and good luck. Some thoughts:
>
> 1. Start a new thread with a proper subject line.

When something is done past talking, this subject warrants a new thread ;-)

> 2. This is perfect for an open-source project. Release it under the
> GPL.

Nope. I have nothing against open source, I even started a few open source
projects and headed a team maintaining closed source code that had been
opened (all on the BeOS Operating Sysyem), but open source is not right for
me. My labour is worth more than that ;-)

The GPL is not the right license. It taints anything it touches.

> 3. Register the project at Sourceforge.

Sourceforge is not a particularly good option. Previous experience makes me
believe so (see: changing CVS repo so that it does not work for 3 months for
scores of projects, without telling anyone and without acknowledging the
issue.)

> 4. Develop it in a standard, widely available language for easier
> future maintenance and development, even after the original authors
> disappear.

Delphi is free. http://www.turboexplorer.com
FreePascal is free, and supports many platforms. http://www.freepascal.org

Both are widely enough used :-)

I would use C# if I didn't think the speed and serial access would be
painful.

> 5. Forget charging for it. The market is so small that even if
> everyone paid for it you would not end up with enough to throw a party at
the
> bowling alley.

The project will only ask for a small amount. However we will accept
donations I guess. If you want to pay for the bowling party, feel free ;-)

Seriously though, I'm a programmer by trade. I'm not contemplating this
project for the money, but I'm not motivated to develop for free anymore.
Maybe 10 years ago, but time is money these days. And the time I'll spend on
this project will be time I could use in other ways. Maybe I will sell the
source for a certain amount (say equiv of 30 subscriptions) and then the
community can buy it from me? Let's see what happens with the code first,
eh? :-)

Matt