Re: [NTLK] What is NASM 2.1 for

From: Adam Goddard <pashosh_at_tpg.com.au>
Date: Fri Sep 01 2006 - 06:04:03 EDT

On 01/09/2006, at 11:18 AM, Sonny Hung wrote:
> Well the only benefit for now is that we would have a copy of it off
> the Newton which we could install back on at a later time - Of course
> you could always do this by making a backup on Flash Card. Not the
> same as sending it back to the desktop but also works.
>
> The other future benefit would be that IF we ever get a clue to what
> it's use is then we woudl have a something to fall back on as a copy.
>
> If the file name were directly related to the finding on the internet
> I would venture to say it could be a way to transport assembler code
> on to the Newton for programming and then transfer it back to a
> desktop (probably a Linux machine) but of course I'm totally jumping
> of a cliff with this theory...
>
> By the way, is there anything else associated with it such as a
> Storage file?
>
> To bad there are no tools to decode packages like DeBlitz which were
> used with Commodore 64 to reverse compiled basic programs (compiled
> with Blitz)
> I think that's the name of the program - I could be wrong since it's
> bee years since I used a C64.

 From what I can find, it's possibly a Newton Assembly language compiler?
http://lists.tunes.org/archives/tunes/1997-April/001129.html
Or: "NASM is the Netwide Assembler, a free portable assembler for the
Intel 80x86 microprocessor series, which uses the traditional Intel
instruction mnemonics and syntax."
(http://www.piclist.com/techref/language/asm/nasm.htm).
Best bet would be to see if it works on an mp2k, do viewFrame on it and
see what it does. But it might fust be an unfinished project of
someones and not as interesting as we currently find it... :-P

Regards,
   - Adam Goddard