Re: [NTLK] Changing motherboard

From: Joel M. Sciamma <joel_at_inventors-emporium.co.uk>
Date: Tue Sep 05 2006 - 06:13:53 EDT

Kate,

> I'm a jeweller so
> I'm used to doing things carefully and precisely, i just don't have
> experience with the insides of electronic things!

You'll be fine.

Putting the 2000's screen with the 2100 MB will work but essentially
you are stripping down the whole machine into its sub-assemblies and
a few odd bits. It's a good opportunity to clean and check everything
too.

The items to be careful about that immediately come to mind are the
sprung battery connector, which can be hard to position - so look
carefully at it first, and the electrical connection to the display
which has to be seated well and be clean to work reliably.

Only use plastic tools to pry open the case and when you come to
disengaging the two halves, the catch near the infrared window slides
instead of pops off. A gentle twist of the case does the trick bit
it's had to describe in words.

Follow Frank's excellent instructions at <http://www.pda-soft.de/
2x00_disassemble.html> and you should be OK.

As each part comes off, put it on a large sheet of paper with a note
about how it came off and what it does. It makes for greater
confidence later. If you have a digicam handy, take pics while you
disassemble - this helps to record specific things you want to be
reminded of later.

As you can have the pick of which parts go back in the finished
machine, always choose the better of the two if one is worn or cracked.

If you get stuck, let me know and we'll try to sort it out.

Joel.